It began as a wooden cross on a pedestal of laterite stones, built by Mrs. Lucinda Pinto Rodrigues, as a fulfillment of a vow for the recovery of her son in 1882.
In 1935 the ‘Bairristas’ purchased a small plot and built a small chapel, but maintained the original wooden cross at the site. In the late forties, the chapel made its own statue and confraternity, and the managing committee having realized that the chapel was too small to accommodate all, built a bigger chapel which was blessed on 28th February 1949. Fr. Alexandre Rodrigues served as the first chaplain.
To fulfill the needs of the growing number, the villagers purchased additional adjacent land and built a bigger new chapel. Presently the chapel serves the spiritual needs not only of Fradilem but also Belem and Calvado.